Assistance in oxygen intake is necessary for several patients while they are hospitalized. However, in some cases, patients with certain medical conditions require a constant supply of oxygen no matter where they are. Additionally, there are people who, not always but from time to time, need to use oxygen cylinders when they are unable to breathe properly. Such patients are advised to purchase oxygen equipment for home use in case of an emergency until medical personnel could reach them if needed. In this regard, one needs to look for a suitable oxygen equipment supplier to make a purchase.
In this article, the ideal characteristic features of oxygen equipment as well as those of the oxygen equipment supplier have been enlisted with an aim to help enable the readers to make the right choice.
Characteristic features of an oxygen equipment
While choosing an oxygen supply equipment, it is recommended to look for the following characteristics:
- The concentration of oxygen: The concentration of oxygen in the cylinder must be between 87 to 99%.
- Flow rate: An ideal flow rate for oxygen instruments intended to be used within homes is 2 L/min. However, there is equipment that provides a flow rate as low as 250 to 750 mm/min to as high as 10 L/min. Therefore, the oxygen-supplying equipment must meet the needs of the patient for whom it is being purchased.
- Flow pattern: The flow of oxygen from the oxygen delivery device can be pulsed or continuous. In the case of pulsed flow, the equipment releases oxygen upon inhalation while in the latter, there is a constant supply of oxygen in the tubing. Although both are efficient, the pulsed flow seems like a better option. However, such choices are entirely upon the patient to make according to her or his convenience.
- Noise level: If an oxygen-supplying device produces a noise between 31 to 60 dB, it is acceptable for home use. Although this noise level, despite being audible, is very low, there are devices that produce even lesser noise.
- Portability: Oxygen supply equipment must have a smaller size, and should be portable and lightweight so that it can be carried easily within the home as well as during day-to-day traveling.
- Battery life: An oxygen generator needs to be recharged after being in use for a certain period of time. The instruments which have longer battery life along with fast charging are ideal for home use.
- Cost: Along with all the above-mentioned features, the cost of the equipment must also be suitable for the buyer.
|Oxygen concentration||87 to 99%|
|Flow rate||Not less than 2 L/min|
|Flow pattern||Pulsed flow is preferable|
|Noise level||Not more than 31 to 60 dB|
Two such cost-friendly devices are a 1 to 4 L/min portable home oxygen generator as well a Portable home oxygen generator 6 L/min oxygen car travel air purifier which is portable, compact, and economical devices for home use as well as for traveling.
Choosing the right oxygen equipment supplier
There is such an overwhelming multitude of manufacturers and suppliers of oxygen equipment in the market that a consumer often gets confused about whom he or she should make a purchase. Keeping this in mind, here are the things you need to check about the supplier before buying oxygen equipment from them:
- Take note of how many types of oxygen equipment they manufacture. These may include:
- Compressed gas systems
- Liquid oxygen systems
- Home oxygen concentrators
- Portable oxygen concentrator (POC) systems
Select a product based on the extent of your need.
- Ask about how often the equipment has been calibrated. If a supplier calibrates the device every 2 to 3 months, it indicates that the manufacturer knows the standard requirements really well.
- Enquire the supplier about how quickly they can provide the product. Usually, it only takes a few working days to ship the oxygen equipment to your address.
- The emergency response time of a supplier also indicates their efficiency at work.
- If a supplier takes responsibility for equipment parts that might need to be repaired or replaced, it is a key sign to make a purchase from them.
- Check the warranty of the oxygen equipment. A good time period for warrantying oxygen equipment is 5 years. Ask your supplier about it before deciding on buying.
- Check the overall cost of equipment as well as shipping. If the features of the product justify the cost demand made by the supplier, there is no need to worry much. Oxygen equipment, in general, is usually costly so a good quality product in a justified amount is not a bad purchase.
Many patients are in need of time-to-time or full-time respiratory assistance owing to certain health-related conditions. In this regard, the physician may recommend keeping oxygen equipment at home or in the car at all times in order to deal with any sort of emergency situation. Many such products are in the markets which can serve this purpose but to select the right equipment as well as the best supplier is a job that needs some attention.
Thankfully, there are certain criteria regarding some characteristic features of the oxygen equipment as well as its supplier which, if fulfilled, somewhat guarantee that the purchase decision is good. These parameters have been summarized here to give an overview to the consumers about buying good oxygen equipment for home use from a reliable supplier.