With the start of November, the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) awareness month, the campaigns focused on raising awareness about the disease speed up. As this year’s theme is ‘Breathing is Life-Act Earlier’, efforts are being made to urge people to not only have regular checkups with the aim to detect COPD earlier but also to refer to a doctor as soon as symptoms of a respiratory issue start to appear. For the management of COPD, among multiple interventions, the use of nebulizers is common. These devices work in a short time to relieve the patient from stressful breathing resulting in the maintenance of oxygen levels in the body. Let us understand what a nebulizer machine is and how it works.
Statistics Regarding Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in the US
According to the statistics published by the American Lung Association, more than 34 million people in the United States suffer from chronic lung diseases such as asthma, COPD, emphysema, as well as bronchitis. Among these, as per the National Institute of Health, the number of patients diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease nears 16 million. This number does not include those who have the disease but have not been diagnosed due to being asymptomatic. Many of these patients require supplemental oxygen to aid the breathing process.
What is a Nebulizer Machine?
A nebulizer is a compact device employed to generate a mist of the medicated liquid, i.e. bronchodilators or corticosteroids, for the purpose of easy drug access to the respiratory tissue. This results in enhanced as well as quick drug absorption into the lungs thus resulting in rapid response in the form of relief. Usually, nebulizers are portable and are available in both electric and battery-run versions.
Who Needs a Nebulizer?
People with any of the following conditions require nebulizers for the management of their symptoms:
● Cystic fibrosis
● Pulmonary fibrosis
● Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Characteristics of a Nebulizer Machine
A nebulizing machine has the following characteristic features:
● A nebulizer delivers the drugs to the lungs in the form of fine mist or aerosol.
● Nebulizers are easy to use, and uncomplicated to clean and maintain.
● Nebulizers are of multiple types but most are portable and lightweight.
● With a nebulizer, the treatment time shrinks to merely 5 to 10 minutes.
Characteristics and Advantages of a Nebulizer Machine
By using a nebulizer machine, the following advantages can be achieved:
● Nebulizers ease the process of breathing by facilitating the flow of air into the lungs thus improving both inhalation as well as exhalation.
● The use of a nebulizer results in the relaxation of the muscles of the respiratory tract.
● With the employment of a nebulizer, the mucous in the lungs is loosened.
● Symptoms associated with respiratory diseases such as wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, as well as coughing are eliminated with the use of nebulizers.
Working on a Nebulizer Machine
A nebulizer consists of a base with an air compressor along with a container to hold the medicated solution. A tube serves as a connection between both of these components. A mouthpiece or mask is attached to the medication container to inhale the solution. For using a nebulizer, the given steps are followed:
● Make sure all the parts of the nebulizer are clean and dry.
● The medicated solution is filled in a small container or cup.
● Using the plastic tube, the solution container is attached to the compressor.
● A mouthpiece or mask is attached to the assembly and is affixed to the patient’s nose and mouth.
● Once the machine is switched on, the liquid medication is converted into mist.
● The patient is asked to breathe into the mouthpiece. It is recommended to use a nebulizer for 10 to 15 minutes or until all the medication has been consumed.
Nebulizer Machines: Where to Buy?
A nebulizer can easily be purchased from pharmacies including Walgreens and Rite Aid. In addition, online retailers also sell the device at affordable rates. As nebulizers are sold over the counter, no prescription is required to buy them.
However, the medications that are to be used in the nebulizers need to be purchased with a prescription. The estimated cost of a nebulizer is between the range of $10 to $100 depending upon its features and intended use.
Nebulizer Machines: Brands and Specifications
Among multiple brands that manufacture and market nebulizer machines, the following is considered one of the best items:
● Cardinal Health Essentials Compressor Nebulizer
Cardinal Health Essentials compressor nebulizer is effective in patients with asthma, COPD, and other lung diseases including infections. The device efficiently delivers particles that are less than 7 microns in size and thus provides quick relief. It is equipped with a piston-style nebulizer, a 7-inch tubing, an angled mouthpiece, as well as nebulizer cups along with five filters. The device operates easily with just a single button and has a 5 ml medication capacity.
The nebulizer machine mentioned in this article, along with many other medical supplies, can be purchased from Health Supply 770, a reliable name when it comes to medical products. They have a 30-day money-back guarantee and provide your products to you in the shortest possible time. Click the link at the end of the article to check the wide range of nebulizer devices on the website.
Respiratory issues are one of the leading causes of death in the world. Among the disorders that affect the lungs, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD is prominent. While managing its symptoms, the patients are often recommended to use nebulizers during breathing difficulties.
These devices relax the respiratory muscles and let oxygen flow into the alveoli easily. Purchasing medical devices from reliable vendors like Health Supply 770 ensures the provision of quality products along with satisfactory services.