According to the World Health Organization (WHO), two of the leading causes of death at the global level are ischemic heart disease and stroke, both of which are associated with high blood pressure or hypertension. Considering the rapid prevalence of these diseases, it is often recommended by experts to regularly monitor one’s blood pressure and keep a record. This practice becomes even more significant when it comes to individuals with a family history of high blood pressure or heart disorders. Among the instruments that can be employed to check blood pressure, sphygmomanometers have a clear prominence owing to their features. Let us take a look at the specifications that one should check while buying a sphygmomanometer.
Statistics Regarding Hypertension in the US
As per reports published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 119.9 million individuals (48.1% of the adult population) living in the United States are hypertensive i.e. they have a systolic blood pressure exceeding 130 mmHg and a diastolic pressure greater than 80 mmHg.
This massive population, being at high risk of progressing towards severe heart diseases, needs constant measurement of their cardiac parameters for which different instruments are employed.
What is a Sphygmomanometer?
First invented in 1881, a sphygmomanometer is an instrument that is employed to measure blood pressure. The device has an inflatable rubber cuff which is to be applied to the arm. A mercury column as well as a graduated scale is connected to this assembly. Pressure is subsequently applied and released to determine the systolic and diastolic blood pressures.
Advantages of a Sphygmomanometer
A sphygmomanometer provides the following advantages:
• A sphygmomanometer is an easy-to-use device that eliminates the need for assistance from a healthcare provider.
• The results obtained from the sphygmomanometer are reliable and highly accurate.
• Parameters such as heart rate and cardiac rhythm, apart from blood pressure, can also be measured using a sphygmomanometer.
• A good sphygmomanometer is also efficient in providing information regarding the heart as well as breathing sounds.
• Being non-invasive, the device is comfortable for the patient to utilize frequently.
• As sphygmomanometers are portable, it is easy for the patients to carry them along.
Sphygmomanometers-Features and Specifications
Multiple brands manufacture sphygmomanometers, which although efficient, vary based on their characteristics features, and specifications.
While purchasing a sphygmomanometer, it is good to look at the product specifications to choose the best item. Here are some of the notable features of a sphygmomanometer:
• A sphygmomanometer should be checked for its fit. The cuff attached to the device should be adjustable and must fit perfectly to the circumference of the user’s arm.
The 2017 High Blood Pressure Clinical Practice Guidelines, in association with the American College of Cardiology as well as the American Heart Association, have agreed upon the sizes of the sphygmomanometer.
Usually, the sphygmomanometers are available in the following cuff sizes:
|Categories of cuff sizes||Sizes (in centimeters)||Sizes (in inches)|
|Adult Small||22 to 26||8.5 to 10|
|Adult Average||27 to 34||10.5 to 13|
|Adult Large||35 to 44||13.5 to 17|
• One should check the size and weight of the sphygmomanometer as well. The smaller the device, the easier it gets to carry it along throughout the day, if needed.
• To avoid complexity for the elderly, it is good to choose a sphygmomanometer which is manual rather than a digital blood pressure measuring device that works with an app. According to some experts, these kinds of devices are not fully accurate in terms of their data which can be misleading in certain cases.
• Features such as bigger buttons, easy visual instructions, and uncomplicated display also render a device preferable.
• It is also possible to choose a device that can keep a record of the heart and blood-related parameters that have been checked by it. This way, a memory of the previous measurements from multiple users can be accessed easily.
• Before buying, a cost comparison should be done among the products of different brands. The usual price range for sphygmomanometers is around $40 to $100.
Some of the examples of the best and latest blood pressure measuring and managing devices in the US market in 2023 include the following:
• Omron HeartGuide (FDA approved)
• Omron 3 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
• Omron 5 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
• Omron Platinum Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
• iHealth Clear Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor
• Beurer Platinum Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
• FORA Test N’GO Wireless Bluetooth Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
• Withings BPM Connect Smart Blood Pressure Monitor
• Care Touch Digital Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
• Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
• FitVII GT5IP68 SmartWatch
• YHE BP Doctor Pro
• ROSSMAX Blood Pressure Measuring Monitor
All types of sphygmomanometers mentioned in this article, along with multiple other medical supplies, are available at Health Supply 770 at the most affordable prices.
Furthermore, the prices are even lower during the weekly deals they offer on certain items. Do check out the link at the end of the article to make a purchase of blood pressure-related instruments.
Variations in the blood pressure, though higher or lower than the normal range, massively affect a person’s health. In addition, if the person already has an underlying heart condition, these abrupt fluctuations become more dangerous.
Therefore, checking one’s blood pressure on a regular basis helps keep a record of the day-to-day BP variations. Among the medical devices that can be employed for this purpose, sphygmomanometers have been in use for a long period.
Owing to their portability, accuracy of measurement, as well as ease of usage, sphygmomanometers are one of the most trusted instruments when it comes to BP evaluation.
Reliable suppliers like Health Supply 770 should be approached for buying top-quality medical products as their reliability speaks for itself.