Cardiac arrest is a condition in which the heart stops pumping the blood all of a sudden. As a result, the brain, lungs, and other vital organs are immediately deprived of the oxygenated blood. To deal with this medical emergency, a defibrillator is required which works by supplying electric charge to the cardiac tissue in order to restart the pumping process. Nowadays, a compact defibrillator, often termed an automated external defibrillator, is used to manage this emergency. Let us know more about this device and its efficacy in such cases.
Statistics Regarding Cardiac Arrest in the US
As per the statistics of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the number of people who experience cardiac arrest exceeds 356,000. Most of these cases happen at home, at the workplace, or anywhere other than a hospital which generates the need to transport the patient as soon as possible to the nearest healthcare facility. Considering the precious time of treatment getting lost on the way, it is understandable that 60% to 80% of these patients die before reaching the hospital.
What is an Automated External Defibrillator?
An automated external defibrillator or an AED, also known as an automated electronic defibrillator (AED), is a medical device designed to deliver defibrillation in the form of an electric shock to the heart. This way, the lost rhythmic activity of the heart is restored.
An AED is particularly useful for patients who experience sudden cardiac arrest and time is needed to shift them to an emergency. Its employment saves time and provides the necessary treatment without any delay.
How Does an Automated External Defibrillator Work?
An AED device is based on an assemblage of the following components:
● A capacitor which stores and releases the energy. Larger capacitors are present in the AED pumps which have the capacity to store a significant amount of current at once when used on a patient.
● A battery is the source of energy i.e. a power source. It also assists in the assessment of the patient’s cardiac state by running self-tests. It also makes sure that the AED pump is working efficiently.
● Electrode pads which are sticky and are intended to be placed on the skin.
● A processor which is has the job of detecting the patient’s cardiac rhythm and deciding whether it is the right time to deliver a shock or not.
The device works by charging a capacitor to a certain voltage which is then delivered to the heart. It immediately resets the heart’s natural pacemaker i.e. SA (sino-atrial) node which initiates the delivery of contraction signals to the heart tissue thus starting the pumping action once again.
Choosing the Right AED: Notable Characteristics Features
While choosing an AED pump, the following characteristic features should be looked for in the device:
● An automated external defibrillator is compact, light in weight, and easily portable.
● The device is easy to use and helps the user by giving prompts and commands. This feature renders the device easy to comprehend and use even for individuals with no previous training.
● One of the most notable advantages of the AED pumps is that they can detect the patient’s heart rhythm. This way, an AED pump only delivers the necessary amount of electric shock to a patient. Moreover, the frequency of shocks can also be automatically adjusted by the device.
● Currently, available AEDs are capable of delivering between 200 to 1000 volts to the heart if necessary.
● Usually, the device stops delivering shocks after 3 consecutive ones. After this, it automatically keeps examining the patient’s heart while the trained personnel is giving him or her CPR.
Automated External Defibrillators: Brands, Accessories, and Specifications
Among multiple brands which manufacture and market AEDs, the following are considered one of the best items:
● M3713A Multifunction Defibrillator/AED Pads
Multifunction defibrillator/AED pads are a single-use, disposable item that is applied on the skin. These act as a connection between the body and the AED and deliver electric current to the heart. These are easy to use and can also be applied with manual defibrillators apart from their high utility in the automated external defibrillators. This has become enabled due to the plus-style connector present on these AED pads.
● 3M 2345N Defibrillator Electrode Pad
Defibrillator electrode pads by 3M are easy-to-use, easy-to-peel pads that have a bright orange backing. These pads have no gel bridging which ensures the delivery of energy to the patient. As these do not leave slippery residues, the need to clean the patient’s skin afterward is eliminated.
In addition, the use of CPR right after an AED is eased without the doubt of any interference. Moreover, these pads are free from natural rubber latex. These electronic pads are available in both adult as well as in child sizes.
The AEDs mentioned in this article, along with many other medical supplies, can be purchased from Health Supply 770, a reliable name when it comes to medical products. They have a 30-day money-back guarantee and provide your products to you in the shortest possible time. Click the link at the end of the article to check the wide range of AEDs on the website.
Heart-related complications are the leading cause of death in many cases. One important factor is the time needed to access medical help after a heart attack or a cardiac arrest as a delay can be proved to be fatal. AED devices can be placed in the ambulances where the trained personnel can use these on the patients on their way to the hospital.
This way, a treatment is provided as early as possible which can be lifesaving for many patients. Keeping in mind their importance, ambulances and medical facilities, ideally even homes and workplaces, should have enough AED pumps to manage emergencies.
When it comes to obtaining these devices, the importance of a trusted vendor comes to light. Purchasing medical devices from reliable vendors like Health Supply 770 ensures the provision of quality products along with satisfactory services.
Click to Order from Health Supply 770
M3713A Multifunction Defibrillator/AED Pads
3M 2345N Defibrillator Electrode Pad